Making Madness

Here’s my story/plan for bringing Morning Madness from concept to the people of earth.

Initial Concept

The idea for Morning Madness came to me one day during the mad rush to get lunches made, get the kid ready for school and get myself ready to head to the office. On the train ride to work I scribbled some drawings and some rules onto a piece of paper. I picked up a pack of index cards for the train ride home and by the time disembarked I had a few dozen cards and the first version of the game ready to play. I played the first game with my son Domenico. He loved it. He and I spent the next few weeks coming up with ideas for cards. Soon after I played a few more games with family and friends. Everyone that played the game was having fun. Perhaps I was onto something.

Refine, Rinse, Repeat

Each new iteration of Morning Madness took between a week and a month to produce. After the new deck of cards was ready I would round up some play testers and play the game. During these play sessions I would pay attention to how people interacted with the game and how people interacted with each other. With each iteration ideas for improving the game were recorded. Cards were added, modified or removed. Rules were changed. Here are three examples of how the game was improved…

At one point I observed that when a player would “lose a turn” they would become bored as their opponent played two turns in a row. I replaced “lose a turn” with “steal a card” and the game became more engaging.

Players wanted to play a second Calamity Card when the first one was blocked by an Item Card. I changed the rules to allow players to do just that. This change made for a richer, more engaging play experience.

Play testers wanted their Characters to be able to wear Clothing Cards from either gender. I changed the rules to allow it. People laughed more during these gender stereotype-free play sessions. The games were faster and more interactive.

Make It Look Awesome

Screenshot_3_25_14_11_08_AM

At the time of publishing this post I am focusing on making Morning Madness look amazing. I anticipate that it will take a the next six months (or more!) to finish all one hundred and eleven cards.

Packaging, Beta Release

Once I have the game looking great it will be time to iron out my marketing strategy. This will involve designing the packaging, getting some test runs printed and sent off to reviewers.

The Rest

Marketing, funding, getting the game into people’s hands…all very important steps. I have a rough sketch for all of that and will be sharing it when the time is right (and when the sketch is a bit less rough).